Parrano® Beer Pretzels
Write a review
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 C beer, divided into 1 C and 1/2 C
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 4 cups flour
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- Vegetable oil, for pan
- 10 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 C grated Parrano® cheese
- Pour warm water into bowl, sprinkle package of yeast over the water and let sit for 8-10 minutes, cover top of bowl with towel.
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt, mix until well combined. Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat or in microwave.
- Measure out beer and bring to room temp
- Once yeast has foamed up like the head of a beer add the flour to the bowl followed by the melted butter and 1 Cup beer. Using stand mixer or wooden spoon, mix until a dough forms, adding more flour if the dough is too wet, more water or beer if it is too dry.
- Once dough comes together, knead around 5 times. Then form into a ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl. *Optional- Rub dough down with melted butter
- Allow to rise 1 hour, or until dough doubles in size. Cover bowl with a towel and put it in a warm place.
- Once dough has risen, combine the remaining 1/2 Cup beer, the 10 Cups water, and the baking soda and bring to a boil. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Divide dough into 8 segments. Take one segment and roll into a long rope on a lightly floured surface. Start with hands in the middle of an oblong piece and then roll it back and forth to form the rope. Remember to push from the middle out, constantly lengthening the rope.
- Roll pretzel dough out to around 18inches long, then form the rope into a U, twist the two ends around each other, and stick the ends to the bottom of the U, forming a pretzel shape.
- Once your pretzels are shaped, boil them for 30 seconds, 1 at a time in the beer/water/baking soda combo, then remove with a spatula and place on a lightly greased parchment paper on a baking sheet. Brush with the yolk/water mixture and top with grated Parrano® cheese.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until pretzels are a deep golden brown and the cheese has melted.
Adapted from Salty
Adapted from Salty